Wednesday, October 23, 2013

GOP Unfavorability At An All-Time High

(article)

In a recent poll, sixty-four percent of Americans said that they hold an unfavorable view of the Republican party since the shutdown. Another fifty-four percent say that they view the Tea Party negatively. Meanwhile, the favorability ratings of the Democratic party have remained virtually unchanged from before the shutdown to now. In addition to an attack on party support, House Speaker John Boehner's disapproval ratings have raised from forty-eight percent in late September to fifty-five percent. This is the fist time that the Speaker has been disliked by a majority of Americans.

I believe that this change in approval/disapproval ratings should have been expected. The GOP accomplished nothing during the shutdown, as the Affordable Care Act still passed into law even with the political disarray. I believe that it will be difficult for the Republican Party to regain its credibility among the American people, and even more difficult for the Tea Party to do so.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that the Republicans have definitely messed up. The American people have reason to dislike them. You have to also think about the tremendous pressure they are under at the moment and how it is effecting their decision making. It will take awhile for the American people to trust the Republicans again, but I still believe that it won't take that long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you both. The republicans seems to have made quite a fuss, yet didn't really accomplish anything they aimed to accomplish. The whole shut-down was pointless, and there are clearly a lot of Americans upset over this. All we can do is hope things get better over time.

    ReplyDelete